January 16, 2019
The idea of embellished print strategies in the consumer products industry has become increasingly popular in recent years. As marketers continue to look for new and exciting ways to differentiate their products from the competition, the idea of adding special effects, coatings and finishes to product labels and printed materials has proven to be quite an effective strategy.
In contrast to traditional printing methods, embellished print strategies are done digitally and are easily adaptable to changes, variations and production preferences. Sample finishes used to embellish products include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Glossy and Raised UV coatings
- Grit and Sandpaper coatings
- Embossing and Debossing
- Foils (including Hot, Metallic, Holographic and Clear)
According to consumer studies and experts in the printing industry, embellished printing can benefit a product by: increasing its perceived value and prestige in the marketplace, increasing the amount of consideration and attention given to it, and playing an important part in the overall selling process to consumers.
- Embellished print strategies enhance a brand’s image. Regardless of where a product is sold (either in-store or online), attractive packaging and product labeling positively impacts a consumer’s perception of the product and adds value to its image. Tactile packaging effects add a richness and excitement to products not normally achieved through traditional merchandising and display methods.
- Consumers give greater consideration to items utilizing embellished print. According to a study conducted by the Foil & Specialty Effects Association in 2016, products utilizing embellished print held the attention of consumers 18% longer and were recognized 45% quicker than products not using the effects.
- Embellished print positively impacts sales. Dr. Andrew Hurley, and associate professor at the University of Clemson and co-founder of Package InSight, a retail packaging research company, states that companies utilizing embellished print typically show gains in market share and sales, especially in the premium and luxury item markets.
To learn more about the Embellished Print options offered by GBS and how they can benefit your company and brands, contact one of our product experts at 1.800.552.2427 or at email@example.com.